2014-15 Annual Report - Key progress on making healthy lifestyle choices easier for Canberrans
Despite the ACT population being the healthiest in Australia, almost two thirds of Canberra adults and approximately one in four children are overweight or obese. The consequences of obesity include chronic diseases, diabetes and some forms of cancers resulting in long term health care needs and a poorer quality of life.
The Healthy Weight Initiative is a whole of government program with a number of activities aimed at increasing healthy lifestyle choices across a range of areas including schools, communities, workplaces and homes.
Good progress has already been made under the Healthy Weight Initiative particularly within schools, workplaces and the broader community. Specific achievements in the past year include:
- Installation of 30 free drinking water stations across sporting fields, neighbourhood ovals, parks and public spaces, and a minimum of two water refill station at all ACT public schools;
- The launch of the ACT Public School Food and Drink Policy 2015 to promote a whole-of-school approach to the provision of healthy food and drinks in schools;
- Implementation of the Fresh Tastes healthy food at school program for primary schools and the It’s Your Move program for ACT public secondary schools;
- Delivery of community programs including swimming lessons, cooking demonstrations and gym sessions for various multicultural and disadvantaged communities;
- Active Living principles incorporated into all town and group centre masterplans; and
- Newly installed outdoor fitness stations and walking trails, supported by a Find Fitness Outdoors online hub and marketing campaign.
In the 2014–15 Budget the Government committed $3.6m over four years to progress the Healthy Weight Initiative, in addition to existing resources which are being used across government.
The Government further committed $2.5m over four years in the 2015–16 Budget to deliver a range of programs supporting healthier lifestyles under the Healthy Weight Initiative, as well as significant infrastructure investment.
As part of the Healthy Weight Initiative, the ACT Government is committed to supporting a healthy, active and productive Canberra community.
Read the 2014-15 Healthy Weight Initiative Annual Report (PDF, 6.5mb).