Canberra kids summer checklist
The summer presents the perfect opportunity to head outside with the kids and enjoy the numerous parks and recreational areas that Canberra has to offer.
Nature Play CBR has an inspiring list of fun activities that will get the whole family playing, exploring, learning and having fun.
The long list of activities includes discovering native flora and fauna, going camping at a campsite or in your own backyard, and going on an outdoor adventure with your family.
Some other ideas for you to mark in your holiday calendar include:
- making a nature craft decoration to hang from the Christmas tree
- creating a nature journal for the summer, to record all the interesting things you find in our environment
- making leaf boats and floating them in your local stream or pond
- planting a summer garden or pot plant (try strawberries, lettuce or cucumbers)
- discovering the world at dusk by heading for a walk with your family and see what you can discover as day turns to night
- going for a swim at a waterhole on a hot day
- making and flying a kite.
Heading out and seeking adventure outdoors will not only increase family time, it will also help your kids get out of the house and moving around while learning about their environment. It's also a great way for the whole family to get creative and work on projects together.
For a full list of activities and other family resources visit the Nature Play CBR website. When spending time outside this summer, make sure you remain sun and water smart and ensure all children are properly supervised.