Do you have noisy neighbours?
Your neighbours may not realise how their noise is affecting you. Most noise concerns can be resolved with a simple conversation. To get the conversation started follow these tips:
- Think ahead of time about what you want to say
- Choose a time to chat that is convenient
- Explain calmly how the noise is affecting you
- Listen to your neighbour’s side of the story and acknoweldge what they tell you
- Suggest a solution – do you want them to lower the noise or change the time they make the noise
- Be willing to compromise
- Keep a record of your conversation/s while it is still fresh in your mind – this may be useful in the future
- Consider dispute coaching or mediation by the Conflict Resolution Service (6190 7100). This service is free for neighbourhood disputes.
For more information and tips visit www.act.gov.au/noise