Be light rail ready for launch this weekend
Get ready for the launch of light rail this weekend Canberra!
Those coming out to enjoy the launch of light rail on Saturday 20 April, can expect a great day in the City and Gungahlin Town Centre from 9am to 4pm. Road closures will also be put in place to support the activities of the day.
Sections of Northbourne Avenue and Gungahlin Town Centre will be closed to traffic to create a safe area for people to queue for light rail rides and enjoy entertainment. There will also be traffic and queue management for safe access to other light rail stops.
Canberrans planning to travel to these events are advised to use free public transport while other motorists are urged to avoid the areas and allow extra time for their journey throughout the day. Bikes also won't be allowed on board on launch day to make more room for passengers.
City: 4am Saturday 20 April – 6am Sunday 21 April.
- Road closures will take place in the City between London Circuit and Barry Drive from 4am on Saturday 20 April with roads re-opening by 6am on Sunday 21 April.
- Road signage will indicate northbound detours onto London Circuit and southbound detours onto Barry Drive or Cooyong Streets.
Gungahlin: 9pm on Friday 19th April to 6am on Sunday 21 April.
- Road closures will take place in the Gungahlin Town Centre at Gungahlin Place, Hibberson and Ernest Cavanagh Streets, on streets surrounding the light rail stop and the interchange from 9pm on Friday 19th April to 6am on Sunday 21 April.
- Road users should take note of road signage which will have detours in place.
Along the light rail corridor.
- Motorists intending on travelling near the light rail alignment during the light rail launch are encouraged to note changed traffic conditions and reduced speed limits, particularly on Northbourne Avenue.
Check the road closures map for full details.
Free bus travel and expanded Park and Ride facilities will be available on Saturday for Canberrans heading to light rail launch events. The free Park and Ride facilities will operate from 8am with the last departure from the City or Gungahlin at approximately 5pm.
You can also plan your travels on Saturday by using the online journey planner, or check queue times on the Transport Canberra social media channels. Visit the Transport Canberra website for more details.