Light rail safety is everyone’s responsibility
For one week every year in August, Rail Safety Week shines a spotlight on rail safety in the community.
‘Pay attention – it’s everyone’s responsibility’:
- Stop and look both ways before you cross roads and pay attention around the tracks and stops
- Pedestrians should be alert to their surroundings, limit distractions such as mobile phones and headphones when walking around or across light rail tracks
- Road users should remember to always check blind spots - particularly to your right - before crossing light rail tracks
- Stay behind the yellow line at the light rail stop
- While travelling on board a train make sure you’re holding onto something and exercising courtesy towards others
- When getting off a light rail vehicle and crossing the tracks, do so only on a green signal, as a light rail vehicle may be hidden coming in the opposite direction
- If you are concerned about your safety or the safety of others, please use the Emergency Help Point on platforms and on board light rail vehicles to contact staff
Visit www.transport.act.gov.au to discover how you can stay safe around light rail.
For more Canberra news, find out about: