Have you been scammed?
Scams Awareness Week runs from 12-16 August as part of the national campaign by the Scams Awareness Network.
This campaign encourages the community to test their knowledge and awareness of scams.
Many Canberrans have already been scammed this year. From January to July 2019 in the ACT:
- A total of 2,924 scams have been reported with $1,709,929 in losses
- Dating and romance scams have been reported 42 times with $714,146 in losses
- Australian Taxation Office impersonation scams have been reported 254 times with $27,000 in losses
- Businesses have reported 60 scams with $52,010 in losses
- There have also been 487 reports of scams from Canberrans aged 65 and over with $76,934 in losses.
If you or someone you know has been scammed, or you think you’ve been scammed, please visit www.scamwatch.gov.au
For more Canberra news, find out about: