Starting school in 2019
The new school year is about to start with new students beginning in ACT Public Schools on 4 February. Continuing students will return to school on 5 February.
Here are some tips for a safe and stress-free first day of school for your child.
- Talk to your child about what to expect and who to ask for help.
- Label all your child’s belongings.
- Consider the school route, likely road crossings and reinforce road safety.
- Allow time for your child to eat a balanced breakfast.
- Apply sunscreen before leaving for school.
- Arrive at school well before the first class or activity so they have time to become settled.
- Once your child is settled into school, a short and reassuring goodbye encourages independence.
- Make sure your child knows the pick-up arrangements and be on time to collect them at the end of the school day.
Students starting Year 7 in 2019, along with new students to the ACT public education system in Year 8 to Year 12, will receive a Chromebook in term one.
Chromebooks are used as a teaching and learning tool to help develop the capacity of students to analyse information, solve problems and communicate in an increasingly digital world.
If your child is starting kindergarten in an ACT Public School in 2019, make sure you view ‘Starting School: A Guide for Families’.
For more tips visit education.act.gov.au