It will be easier for tenants to keep pets with new rental changes.
24 October 2019
It will be easier for tenants to keep pets and make minor modifications to properties they are renting under changes to ACT rental laws.
The new laws come into effect from November 1, 2019. Their aim is to strike a fairer balance between the rights of tenants and landlords.
The changes are being made to the Residential Tenancies Act 1997 – the key piece of legislation that sets out the rights and obligations of landlords and tenants in the ACT.
The changes will:
- make it easier for tenants to keep pets
- make it easier for tenants to make modifications
- make it easier for tenants experiencing family violence to change their tenancy arrangements
- adjust the break fee to better reflect the loss incurred by a landlord and
- provide additional protection to tenants against excessive rent increases.
These changes are part of a package of reforms to the ACT's rental system and are designed to improve the living standards of tenants, whilst balancing the genuine rights of landlords.
More information, including detailed factsheets, can be found here.