This Rail Safety Week Canberrans are being urged to be #RailSAFE.
14 August 2020
It’s Rail Safety Week - the perfect time to remind the community to pay attention and take responsibility when catching the light rail.
Transport Canberra and Canberra Metro Operations (CMET) are continually committed to providing passengers with a safe travel environment and need your help to ensure everyone stays safe when using light rail.
Canberra’s light rail services are an easy way to travel, commute and see the city. To have a great journey, it’s important that everyone knows how to be #RailSAFE.
To be SAFE on and around light rail, remember to:
S – Stay off the tracks
- When getting off a light rail vehicle and crossing the tracks, only do so on a green pedestrian signal. You may not see a Light Rail Vehicle (LRV) coming in the opposite direction.
- Pedestrians should only cross the tracks at designated walkways.
- When driving near the tracks, be aware of traffic signals, intersections and road line markings.
A – Avoid distractions
- Pay attention around the tracks and stops.
- As a pedestrian, be alert to your surroundings. Limit distractions, such as mobile phones and headphones, when you're near the light rail tracks.
F – Follow instructions
- Always stand behind the yellow line on the platform.
- When getting off a LRV and crossing the tracks, do so only on a green pedestrian signal.
E – Encourage others to be SAFE
- If you're concerned about your safety, or the safety of others, use the Emergency Help Point on platforms and on-board LRVs to contact staff.
The easiest way to be #RailSAFE this Rail Safety Week – and beyond – is by paying attention and taking responsibility. This way, everyone can stay safe and have a great journey on the light rail.
Rail Safety Week is an annual community awareness week held in Australia and New Zealand that reminds everyone how to be safe on and around rail services.
To find out more about Rail Safety Week, visit www.transport.act.gov.au.