New routes and better connections will improve our bus services.
05 February 2020
Improvements to public transport services will be made across Canberra with updates to incorporate new bus routes, including more direct services to Woden and Belconnen and better connections and timings across the 7-day network.
Transport Canberra is working towards implementing the changes from Tuesday 28 April 2020, the first day of term two.
We have been listening closely to feedback from the community since the network started and we’ve analysed data on patronage and timing connections across the network and are implementing a range of changes:
- faster journeys to the City from central Tuggeranong, saving up to 15 minutes each way on Rapid 5
- more frequent buses from Woden to the City, with Rapid 4 and Rapid 5 running the same direct route to the city
- a new Route 59 connecting Barton and Russell from Woden and the City
- direct local services from Tuggeranong to Woden via the Canberra Hospital
- direct local services from Palmerston, Crace, and Nicholls to Belconnen
- improved services for Giralang, Kaleen and McKellar, with more routes and direct local services to Gungahlin
- better access to Mitchell with Route 18 extended to Dickson, reducing the need for passengers to make multiple transfers
- better connections and travel time savings from a timetable change across the network
- increased weekend services which will see local route frequency increased on Saturdays.
The ACT Government will be delivering this new network by hiring a further 43 drivers, as well as upgrading Transport Canberra’s driver training facilities to support frequent and reliable services.
Improvements will be made to some school services to meet capacity and provide a better service where possible. These changes are being made in consultation with those schools affected.
The Government will also begin stepping up the frequency of route services on weekends with route services delivered at least every hour on Saturday during the day.
Full timetables, including detailed changes for schools, are expected to be made available in late March. For more information please visit www.transport.act.gov.au