One of the best things about Canberra is our spectacular tree-lined streets and bush capital character.
31 July 2020
The draft Urban Forest Strategy 2020-2045 has been released for community comment.
One of the best things about Canberra is our spectacular tree-lined streets and bush capital character, and the Strategy provides a framework for maintaining and growing a healthy and sustainable urban forest for future generations. It has been developed alongside the ACT Climate Change Strategy 2019-2025 and Canberra’s Living Infrastructure Plan.
Increasing our tree canopy cover in 25 years will require protection, maintenance, education, conservation, community partnerships and more planting.
Under the Strategy the ACT Government will:
- plant 25,000 trees by 2023
- increase canopy cover to 30% by 2045, that is the coverage provided by a tree’s leaves and branches when viewed from above
- protect the trees we have including conserving mature and remnant trees
- balance and diversify the urban forest with a range of tree species
- develop supporting infrastructure including water sensitive urban design
- partner with the community, recognising the important role volunteer groups have in supporting the urban forest.
Urban forest strategies have proven a great resource in many cities across the world including Melbourne and Sydney. This Strategy draws on many of the best examples of how we can grow and protect our urban forest ensuring it remains resilient to a changing climate and to help cool our city.
To have your say visit the YourSay website by 31 August 2020.