Library users are asked to follow important conditions.
03 June 2020
As of Tuesday 2 June, all ACT libraries, including the ACT Heritage Library, have opened to all Canberrans.
Libraries will be operating regular hours, however some services are limited or changed so Libraries ACT can meet physical distancing restrictions. Precautions still need to be taken to protect the community and staff.
Visits need to be kept to under 30 minutes. If the library reaches its capacity limit, you will need to wait for someone to leave before you can enter. You must also practise good hygiene and use hand sanitiser when entering.
Library staff will provide help, but only within physical distancing requirements.
During your visit, you will be able to:
- Make a pre-arranged booking to use computers (phone 6205 9000)
- Visit the library to browse the shelves and borrow items
- Collect reserves when notified they are allocated to you and ready to be picked up
- Return items
- Contact the ACT Heritage Library by web form or phone for heritage library enquiries
You will not be able to:
- Sit or study in the library - seating will only be available for pre-arranged computer bookings
- Make cash payments - maximum of 20 pages printing/photocopying per person per day for free will be provided
- Ask library staff to help you at computers, as this doesn’t meet physical distancing requirements
- Do not visit the library if you are feeling unwell, or have been in close contact with someone confirmed to have been infected with COVID-19 and was contagious at that time
Services that remain suspended for now include:
- Library programs - online programs will continue to be provided
- Room hire
- Home Library Service
- Seniors cards
The Access Canberra shopfront remains closed at the Civic library branch. For information about Access Canberra services visit the Access Canberra website.
Library members can continue to access eBooks, eAudio, digital magazines, Story Box Library and other Digital Resources on the Libraries ACT website using their username/membership number and passphrase.
If you need help using digital resources, or to join the library online, phone the digital helpline on 6207 7265.
For answers to the most common questions Libraries ACT have been asked about being closed and reopening head to the Libraries ACT website.