Lake Ginninderra swimming area will be receiving an upgrade.
17 February 2021
Roads and path maintenance, more trees and improvements to a number of community facilities will commence across Canberra in 2021.
Funded by an Australian Government program, the infrastructure projects will help keep our city moving as we continue to navigate the COVID-19 pandemic.
The Local Roads and Community Infrastructure Program will provide:
- $1 million to purchase 3,000 plants to enhance Canberra’s living infrastructure in areas of low canopy cover and to replace ageing trees
- Upgrades will see the installation of smoke detector heads, and improved security fencing and concrete paths at GIO Stadium
- Security landscaping, scoreboard repairs and thermal and smoke detector upgrades will be delivered at Manuka Oval
- $2.185 million will be provided for upgrades at the National Arboretum including improved security, upgraded wheelchair accessible paths in the Central Valley and Himalayan Cedar Forest and upgrades to approximately 4.5 kilometres of unsealed roads to improve access during wet weather
For a breakdown of what is happening in each Canberra region, see the following:
- Improvements to the Lake Ginninderra swimming area.
- New shade sails for playgrounds located on Fullston Way in Holt, and James Harrison Street in Dunlop.
- A new competition standard halfpipe at the Belconnen skate park.
- New shade sails for playgrounds on Burnum Burnum Street in Bonner, and fencing at the playground on Bettong Avenue in Throsby.
- Sportsground upgrades, including new LED lighting at the Bonner Neighbourhood Oval.
- The campground amenities block will be refurbished and gutters and an aged air conditioning unit replaced at Exhibition Park in Canberra.
- Public toilets to be replaced at Lyneham local shopping precinct.
- Courtyard upgrades will be undertaken at Dickson Library and the ACT Heritage library will receive internal upgrades.
- Upgrades will be undertaken to the foyer, reception and kiosk upgrade splash park at Dickson Pool and upgrades to chainmesh fence and improve accessible entry at Manuka Pool.
- New fencing, drainage and pavement improvements will be installed at the MuggaLane Resource Management Centre in Symonston, and a new driveway to allow the public to safely and easily drop-off mattresses at Soft Landings Hume for recycling.
- New fencing at the Adventure Playground in Kambah, and a new shade sail at the playground on Alston Street in Chisholm.
- Upgrades to Mount Taylor Nature Reserve’s zig-zag track, including the resurfacing and reinstatement of the stairs.
New fencing will come for The Adventure Playground in Kambah.
Woden, Weston Creek & Molonglo
- Public toilets to be replaced at Colbee Court, Phillip.
- New shade sails for the playgrounds on Tank Street in Phillip, and Glenmaggie Street in Duffy.
- Sportsground upgrades, including new irrigation at the Curtin District Playing Fields.
- The Chifley Community Hub will be refurbished.
For further information on the projects, visit cityservices.act.gov.au/Infrastructure-Projects