Image by Darrel Kolsky.
13 September 2022
Following the passing of Her Majesty The Queen, Australia will observe a National Day of Mourning and National public holiday on Thursday, 22 September 2022.
The National Day of Mourning for Her Majesty The Queen will be commemorated in Canberra with a National Memorial Service, and there will also be changes to several ACT Government services.
National Memorial Service
- A National Memorial Service will be held at 11am on Thursday 22 September at Parliament House in Canberra.
- Free chartered bus services will operate from the City and Russell to Parliament House for the service.
- City: From City bus stop 3002 (Outside Mooseheads on London Circuit), 9:30am to 10:30am.
- Russell: From bus stop 3029 (Russell Drive opposite Russell Offices), 9:30am to 10:30am.
- Return services depart from Parliament House approximately 20 minutes after the event.
- Members of the public are invited to view the National Memorial Service via a live feed at Federation Mall, Capital Hill.
Footage of The Queen on her visits to Australia will be screened from 9am. You may wish to bring a picnic blanket.
- One-minute of silence will be observed across the nation at 11am on Thursday 22 September.
- The Malcolm Fraser Bridge, The Canberra Times Fountain and light rail stops will be lit in purple until midnight on Thursday, 22 September.
A condolence book for Her Majesty The Queen is available to sign at the ACT Legislative Assembly.
- Members of the public are welcome to add their messages to the book by visiting the Assembly Building foyer on London Circuit between 8.30am-5pm, weekdays.
- Condolence books are also available in the Marble Foyer at Australian Parliament House and at Government House Canberra.
Changes to ACT Government Services on Thursday 22 September
- ACT schools will be closed.
- Public transport will operate on a Sunday bus timetable and frequency
- There will be no changes to bin collection services.
- Floriade will be open on the National Day of Mourning and a one-minute silence will be observed at Stage 88 in Commonwealth Park at 11am.
- All Access Canberra Service Centres will be closed including specialised centres in Dickson, Mitchell, and the Hume Motor Vehicle Inspection Station.
- Members of the public who had pre-booked inspections, assessments and appointments with Access Canberra for Thursday 22 September will be contacted by staff to reschedule their appointments.
- The Access Canberra Contact Centre will be operating under public holiday arrangements and will be open from 9am to 5pm. Outside these times, the Access Canberra Contact Centre will be still open to report urgent public safety issues like fallen trees and faulty traffic lights.
- Paid parking fees will not apply in ACT Government car parks due to public holiday arrangements.
- There will be minimal impacts to health services.Canberra’s emergency departments at the Canberra Hospital and Calvary Public Hospital Bruce are open for emergencies.
Walk-in Centres will operate as usual, as will the COVID-19 clinic at Garran and the emergency department.
Pathology collection centres will be closed and some community services will be ceased or scaled back.
Treatments such as dialysis and critical cancer treatments will continue as usual.
The COVID Care at Home (CC@H) phone line will be open as usual, however the Central Health Intake phone lines will not be operating.
All impacted patients are being contacted individually to be rescheduled. Please do not contact Canberra Health Services about your appointment.
- ACT COVID-19 testing sites will have changed hours of operation on Thursday 22 September. The Mitchell testing site will operate at reduced hours from 8am to 12pm. The Garran centre will operate as usual from 7:30am to 9pm. The Kambah and Holt sites will be closed.
- The Housing ACT shopfront and Child and Family Centres in Tuggeranong, Gungahlin and West Belconnen will be closed. The Child Development Service centre in Holder will also be closed. Those with appointments on 22 September will be contacted to reschedule.
- All branches of Libraries ACT will be closed on Thursday 22 September, including the ACT Heritage Library. Return chutes at library branches will remain open.
- The Canberra and Region Visitors Centre will be open from 9am – 4pm.
- The Village Centre at the National Arboretum Canberra will be open 9am – 4pm.
Information for businesses
- In the ACT, the public holiday has been formally declared by the Minister for Industrial Relations and Workplace Safety (WSIR) as a one-off additional public holiday under the Holidays Act 1958 (ACT).
- It will be a business decision whether they choose to open on the public holiday. Declaration of the additional public holiday under the ACT’s Holidays Act means Canberrans that work on the day will be entitled to the applicable public holiday award rates, rights and entitlements.
Stay up to date with news and events in the ACT: Subscribe to OurCBR