AUSTRALIAN BORDER CLOSURE
If you were unable to travel to Australia due to the closure of the Australian border from 1 February 2020, you may still claim Canberra Matrix points from that date if you meet the following criteria:
- You may claim Matrix points for the entire period you were overseas if you were residing in Canberra before your departure; or
- You may claim Matrix points from the date you commenced online study at an ACT tertiary institution.
- You may claim Matrix points for the period you studied online at an ACT tertiary institution.
You must return to live in Canberra by 1 March 2022. You must still meet the minimum ACT employment eligibility criteria before you can submit the Matrix.
If you are invited to apply for ACT 491 / 190 nomination, a request for a COVID-19 concession must be in writing, attached to the application and evidenced by the following documents:
- an International Movement Record (IMR)
- evidence that you were residing in Canberra before your departure (if applicable)
- confirmation from the ACT tertiary institution that your studies commenced and / or continued online while you were overseas (if applicable).
All applicants for ACT 491 / 190 nomination must meet the eligibility criteria at date of Matrix submission. However, applicants impacted by COVID-19 can request a waiver of the 'continuous employment' eligibility criteria in the following circumstances:
14 day self-isolation requirement
- If you have to self- isolate for 14 days due to COVID -19, you can request a waiver of the continuous employment criteria.
- A waiver request must include evidence of the need to self- isolate e.g., return date to Australia, close contact etc.
- You must still meet the 3/6 months employment criteria (either before and / or after the self-isolation period) at the date of Matrix submission.
ACT business closure / reduced working hours - 13/08/21 to 21/10/21
- If your work hours are reduced, you are required to take unpaid leave, or if you have lost your job due to the COVID -19 impact on an ACT business, you can request a waiver of the continuous employment criteria.
- A waiver request must include a written statement from the employer confirming the period (start and end dates) of the business closure and / or reduced working hours, or when your employment ceased.
- You must still meet the three / six months employment criteria before a 491 / 190 Matrix can be submitted. However, each week worked that meets the 20 / 35 hrs pw criteria, either before, during and / or after the COVID -19 impact on ACT business, can be counted towards the period of claimed employment at date of matrix submission.
Return to work - You must return to work, and have worked for at least one full pay period (at the required 20 / 35 hrs pw) at the date the Matrix is submitted (evidenced by payslips and transaction history).
Request for waiver
- If you are invited to apply for ACT 491 / 190 nomination, any request for a COVID -19 waiver must be in writing, attached to the application and evidenced by supporting documentation.