An ACT Government Website

You must have a radiation licence if you deal with a radiation source in your work.

Professionals who deal with radiation producing equipment must also hold a licence.

They include:

  • radiographers
  • radiation therapists
  • dentists
  • veterinarians
  • service engineers
  • medical physicists
  • compliance inspectors

You may apply to deal with a radiation source in the following ways:

  • use or operate a source for its primary intended purpose and any associated routine quality control
  • manufacture
  • possess
  • service and maintain
  • install
  • test for compliance
  • supply or sell
  • dispose
  • transport or pack
  • storage, including radioactive material

An organisation may apply for a licence to deal with a radiation source in some categories. Individuals or employees must apply to use, service, install, maintain or test a source.

Licence fees

You can apply for a licence that is valid for 1, 2 or 3 years.

  • 1 year licence - $297.75
  • 2 year licence - $595.50
  • 3 year licence - $893.25

Your employer may elect to pay the fee if you require a licence for your work. This is a private arrangement and it remains your responsibility as the applicant to make sure all fees are paid.

How to apply

To apply for a radiation licence:

All applications must include photo identification.

All supporting documents, such as training or academic certificates, need to be certified.

Make sure you check that you meet the requirements to hold a radiation licence. If you already hold a radiation licence in another Australian state or territory you may be eligible to notify for Automatic Mutual Recognition (AMR) under the Mutual Recognition Act 1992.

You are issued with a tax invoice and a letter of receipt after you apply.

Your licence certificate is mailed to you once the Chief Health Officer approves your application.

Make sure you renew your licence before the expiry date.

Student exemptions

Students don’t need to hold a licence to work with regulated radiation sources in clinical environments if they have immediate supervision at all times. This includes students in nuclear medicine, radiography and radiation therapy.

Students who are doing a clinical placement in their final year of a 4-year medical radiation degree may not need immediate supervision. These students may operate under general supervision if they are considered competent by their supervisor and a documented assessment of competency has been made.

Assessment of competency

A valid competency assessment must:

  • include a written assessment
  • relate to the individual student
  • relate to the site where the student is doing their placement
  • be based upon the student’s experience and performance at that site
  • outline the method and type of equipment or radiation source the student is competent in using
  • be approved by a licensed person at the site who has overall responsibility for supervising the student
  • be issued in accordance with the relevant radiation management plan
  • be available for inspection at all times

Students should not automatically progress to working under general supervision. There is no obligation for a supervisor to assess a student as competent.

This page is managed by: ACT Health Directorate