An ACT Government Website

Babies and children should be immunised on time to ensure best protection against vaccine preventable diseases.

Under the National Immunisation Program, your child should be vaccinated at specific ages. This is called the ACT Immunisation schedule and it provides details of when vaccines are due.

Find out more about vaccinations before your child starts school or childcare.

If your child is not vaccinated against a vaccine preventable disease and a case has been confirmed at your child’s school, recommendations might be made for them to remain at home for the period of the outbreak.

There are some risk factors and medical conditions which are funded for additional vaccines. Check the list of extra vaccines for special risk groups.

If you believe your child may need extra vaccines, talk to your GP for more information.

Where to get your child vaccinated

Babies and children can have their vaccinations at:

Your child must have a parent or guardian with them at an Early Childhood Immunisation Clinic.

If a carer other than the parent or guardian is with the child for the appointment, written consent from the parent or guardian and a phone call at the time of appointment will be needed.

Please bring your child’s Personal Health Record (blue book in ACT) with you to record all vaccines your child receives.

Your child's vaccine record

It is important to know if your child’s vaccines are up to date.

In Australia, all vaccines are recorded on the Australian Immunisation Register (AIR).

You can access a copy of your child’s register at the:

Find out how to use the MyGov site on the Department of Human Services website.

Vaccines are also recorded in the Immunisation Record Card for Children which can be found in your child’s Personal Health Record (blue book).

If you have lost the Personal Health Record (blue book) you can download the immunisation record card for children.

For information and reminders on your child’s vaccination schedule you can download the Save the Date to Vaccinate app.

Find out more on the NSW Government website.

Caring for your child after vaccination

Like all medications, there can be some reactions to vaccines.

The most common reactions are:

  • pain, redness and swelling at the injection site for 1 to 2 days and possibly a hard lump at the injection site for a few weeks
  • mild fever that doesn’t last long.
  • generally unsettled, crying or sleepy.

What you can do from home:

  • Offer more breastfeeds or give extra water (if not breastfeeding).
  • Give paracetamol for pain or fever.
  • If the child has a fever, dress them in light clothing.
  • The rotavirus vaccine can be shed in your baby's poo so ensure to wash your hands with soap and water after changing dirty nappies for the next week to prevent transmission of the virus to people with weakened immune systems.

Get medical help if:

  • paracetamol doesn’t help pain or fever
  • reactions are not going away
  • reactions are getting worse
  • you are concerned.

Reactions after vaccines

Find out more about common side effects after vaccination.

If your child was vaccinated overseas

Children who have been vaccinated overseas may need extra vaccines to meet the National Immunisation Program (NIP).

Transcribing vaccine records

Your GP may be able to transcribe your child’s overseas immunisation history and provide a catch-up vaccine schedule if needed.

They can also advise you on vaccines your child needs to meet the Australian National Immunisation Program schedule.

ACT Health provides assistance for vaccine transcriptions of overseas children under the age of 10 who live in the ACT.

To request a transcription of your child’s vaccination records either:

If you are unable to send via email, fax your information to 02 5124 9307 or send a letter to:

Public Health Nurse
Immunisation Unit
Locked Bag 5005
Weston Creek ACT 2611

Updating your child's details with Medicare

ACT Health cannot change your child’s details with Medicare. To update your child’s details with Medicare:

  • call Medicare on 132 011 or
  • visit your local Medicare Service Centre.

Free translating service

Department of Home Affairs provides a free translating service, to permanent residents and select temporary or provisional visa holders within the first 2 years of their eligible visa grant date.

Eligible migrants can have up to 10 eligible documents translated into English. Apply on the Free Translating Service website.

This page is managed by: ACT Health Directorate